Tuesday, January 30, 2007

It's a Nasty Way to Die

So I'm not sure I understand this trend amongst the younger folks, and I say that knowing full well that I still fall into the category.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, a.k.a. Frequently Voted the Coldest Capital in the World a.k.a. Home of People Who Have to Make Long Underwear Look Sexy Because We Live in the Things for Most of the Year. The cold here has no mercy. Ottawa is a valley, and while it can be pleasant and beautiful in the summer months, IT CAN FREEZE YOUR EYELIDS TOGETHER if you don't cover up accordingly in the winter. It's not uncommon to have the snowbanks be taller than my head, and it's not uncommon to have your hair freeze solid if it hasn't dried properly from your morning shower before you lumber out into the cold. It's give-you-a-migraine-
if-you-don't-keep-moving cold. It's not fun, unless you are a masochist or a polar bear, and then it's like hell's playground.

And yet, I still see teenagers and university-types waiting at bus stops in sweat pants and sweatshirts. These are things people wear to the gym and then peel off strategically as their toned little bodies heat up. This is not what you wear when the temperature is veering closer and closer to the -20 and -30 degree Celsius mark.

Just today I saw a girl, probably about 16, who was wearing those horrid goth skinny pants that still hang like baggy pants, a belt made of bullets, and a black long-sleeved shirt. She was trying oh-so-very-hard not to look like she was about to die from exposure even though it was clear that she was getting close.

I don't mean to sound like a cranky old prude, because (and I think that most people I've met could vouch for me, minus the cranky part) I am really not.... But please, young goth girl? COVER THE FUCK UP BEFORE I HAVE TO GIVE YOU MOUTH TO MOUTH THEREFORE RISKING THE WELL BEING OF MY LIPS AND MY SANITY.

Sorry, but I really needed to get that out. Off to the G-Y-M, where sweats are okay.

No comments: