Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ring the Alarm

My good friend Rozalind MacPhail needed some banjo parts for an album she's recording. I play banjo, but I tend to suck, because a banjo is not a guitar or a voice. It is a banjo. Hence the name.*

However, because Rozalind is a lovely girl, and because she is always loaning her fluting skills on my own recordings, I said yes. I'm glad I did for a few reasons. First off, it turns out that I am not as crappy a player as I had thought. Score! Secondly, her engineer lives a three-minute walk from the house I grew up in, and where my parents still live. Score again! This means that I got to visit with my cat, see my folks, drink wine, and then walk my drunk butt down the street to the studio. To a house where I actually used to trick-or-treat as a child. Very cool, and kinda creepy.

It was a nice session, and I was so impressed with Rozalind's work. She decided to break away from being a flutist a couple of years ago and picked up the guitar. Before long, she was singing and writing songs, and within a few months she was playing live shows. It has been amazing to see her improve exponentially every time I see her. I don't know many people who could do something like that.

It would have been a killer night except that I was called in to work early tomorrow morning. Like, really early. Like 6am. So now I want to die. I love my job, but I need to prepare my brain for shifts like this. Usually a couple of days' notice is enough. But it's 9:30 pm. And I'm still with my folks, listening to my mom practice the accordion behind me.

Groan.

On the upside, I finally have a design for my album cover and SHITE it's lovely. I can't even imagine what it's going to look like when it's all done. Gorgeous. It's so exciting.

And most exciting of all... I'm going to get a quilting lesson from the lovely Jo Stockton! Her writing is fab and I'll bet her quilting is just as great. Maybe even as great as my drinking skills. If that's not a recipe for a fun evening, I don't know what is.

Off to bed for me. I'll set three alarms just in case. I can't possibly destroy all three, right? Like, if I smash the first two in a violent rage, I will probably be awake by the third one? Maybe?


*It has been a loooong night. Don't tease.

No comments: