Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Enough Bitching

Oh, the headaches! Recording! Album! So! Expensive!

I can't say I didn't know, because I did. I knew. I was well aware that the album was going to be pricey because, well, I wanted it to be. I've already spent a few albums-worth of time being a student. Under those circumstances, if you have an iffy vocal take or a botched harmony, you take it out or leave it in. You can't afford to re-record because you are paying by the SECOND for heaven's sakes. When you see your tuition flicker before your eyes, you cut a whole song. It's the name of the game.

I wanted this time to be different - I had graduated university, and was lucky enough to walk right into a full-time job in my field. Imagine! This doesn't happen very often, I know. I could barely believe it. And I wasn't going to take it lightly.

So I dove into the studio after about one month on the job. I agree that I probably should have given myself a few months of payment-free bliss, but I had been itching to record like you wouldn't believe. At first I thought that I would innocently lay down my new banjo tunes and see where they took me. HAH. It didn't take long for the project to, um, expand. Don't get me wrong.... I love, LOVE the stuff we're getting done in the studio. I love my producer. I love the musicians who have given up their time to come help out.

But JESUS does it ever hurt the wallet.

Enough bitching... The songs sound umpteen times better than when I dragged them in there, and I couldn't be happier about that. With any luck, by this time next week we will have all the hillbilly fiddle work done. And that means the first five songs will be finished. And THAT means.... I can write more songs!

Yessss!

No comments: