Saturday, December 09, 2006

Stop Teasing Me

I should preface this post by saying that my entire week has been influenced by my utter and complete lack of sleep. I say this only because I will try to attribute any unusual behaviour (wearing diapers, for example) to sleepiness, and not to my general instability. Alright then!

So I've been waking up at 5:30 am every day because of a change in my shift at work. The upside to this is that I get off work earlier, and I get to see the sun rise. The downsides are obvious, and include the fact that I get to see the sun rise. As it floats up over the buildings, all I can this of is "Aah, how lovely. It looks strikingly like a sunset, only in the wrong part of the sky, and in reverse."

As such, I have looked a little.... OFF this week. Bleary-eyed, unsteady, wearing clothes backwards, etc. But I quite enjoy my job, and I took the shift without a second thought. We'll see if my brain ever forgives me.

On Wednesday, my darling friend Heather and I thought we would be festive and make some Christmas cookies. I stumbled over to her place after work, and we got down to rolling the cookie dough in piles of sprinkles. I tried not to get mauled by her kitty, the ever-terrifying Butter. She loves her mom, but if you happen NOT to be Heather (and most people are not), I guarantee that she will hate you with the fire of a thousand suns. Luckily, her hissing was drowned out by the sounds of chopping and maniacal laughter. It was Good Times.

Because Heather did not have an apron, and because we were doing Very Messy Festive Work, she tried out the old Tie-A-Hanky-Around-Your-Mid-Section look. It was, to say the least, confusing.

Although we burned the first few, the cookies ended up being delicious. And luckily for us, my Better Half LOVES burned cookies. This is good news for me, and he was thrilled to get a little baggie of sweets when the evening was done.

I spent part of Friday in the studio, apparently getting some country-style fiddle recorded. I say "apparently" because I did what any other person in my situation would do. I arrived at the studio, gave some input, said what I needed, and then proceeded to pass out on the couch. When I woke up, my producer and Sarah, our fiddle player, had finished around eight takes of a song and were moving on to a new tune.

I had slept through eight takes, I asked? Were they sure? They showed me the recordings on the computer screen. I said something like OH. I think I stayed awake for the rest of the session, but I can't say for sure.

But I am pleased to report that I am now well-rested and plan to spend the day rehearsing. I have a gig tonight in Kemptville at a lovely restaurant called The Branch with the fabulous Mike Yates. I haven't played a gig in a while, and I'm looking forward to toting my little banjo out for a night on the (small) town. If you happen to be in Kemptville, please stop by! I'm sure you drive through Kemptville all the time. No, really!

Ugh. Stop teasing me. I'm going to go re-organize my tupperware.

No, really! Ugh.

No comments: