Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Apples to Apples



I had a great New Years for the first time in a long time.

As I mentioned before, my New Years celebrations have a tendency to go drastically awry, ending in some sort of sketchy illness, injury or hangover (often all three). At the last minute, my Better Half and I always decide to leave the house in search of Exciting Times, and every year, without fail, we regret it somehow. Not exactly how I want to start 2007, or any other year, for that matter.

This year we resolved to beat the system and stay in. Our plan was to make dinner, drink wine, and watch a movie. We hoped to be in bed before the dreaded countdown, a tradition that persistently drives me bonkers. But then my housemates said they would be having a house concert, and we figured our plans for a quiet New Years would be set aside for another year. We have an echo-y house at the best of times, and I knew that an upright bass, a piano and a few guitars would not blend quietly into the night.



Thankfully, and perhaps surprisingly, everything went well. I had a bit too much wine, but it didn't really matter, because I was not out navigating the streets or stumbling around someone else's house. I was sitting on the futon, eating stuffed mushroom caps, chocolate cookies, and fruit. The most I had to do with my brain was play Apples to Apples, a game that I highly recommend, sober or not. The concert part was super fun too, and we even managed to record one of my songs on the spot. I'll post it here when we convert it to MP3 format. You'll hear some pretty enthusiastic percussion in the background thanks to a basket full of noisemakers and a lot of happy people to play them.


More soon on my total lack of sleep and my new and embarrassing addiction to Shakira. Or maybe I'll just keep that one to myself.

No comments: