Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake

Is it bad that I've got four days left of this detox, and all I can think about is the fact that my Better Half will be making me a victory cake? With gooey chocolaty layers and other sexy things baked in? Made from spelt and natural sugar so it's not all evil?

I plan to wash it down with a cup of black tea, and chase that with a glass of red wine. Yes, I've developed much better habits with this cleanse, but I will have my day of fun, damnit.

At least I will walk away with a love of hot lemon and honey, and a shitload of new recipes in my arsenal.* Not to mention a body that is balanced, not overly acidic, and a few pounds lighter. And those bags under my eyes have gotten much less severe. Take that, jerk of a doctor.

I will try to do this again in April or May. I'll bet it's something you can get better at with practice. I already know how to make the best meals, snacks and treats, so there's no nasty accident recipes to deal with. If any of you are considering a detox, give this one a go. Three weeks goes by quickly, and there are still plenty of food options out there.

And hey, we can have a big blog love-in and do it together! And then we will all hug, and cry, and talk about how much we miss cake. Like the way I'm missing it. Right now.

*Did anyone get that clever little pun? No? Just me?

6 comments:

Evey said...

I definitely laughed.
Kuddos to you! I'd love to do that, except, you know, I am way not disciplined enough. Enjoy your well-deserved cake.

XUP said...

Hey congrats! I usually do a detox every spring so I'm nice and glowy for summer. Give me a call in March/April and we'll skip and romp and spew toxins

aandjblog said...

I would love to try. I dont' know how good I would be, but I'll try anything once.

What's the hot lemon and honey thing? Sounds tasty :)

Lesley Hoyles said...

So what exactly did your detox consist of? No wheat, sugar, caffeine? I'm curious...We're going to try going gluten free for a couple of weeks, to see if it makes us feel better and stops us from having hurty tummies.

Andrea... said...

Evey: I WILL enjoy the cake, but of course, there will be a play-by-play of some sort posted to eternalize the event.

U.P. and A&J: SWEET! We'll test our stamina together.

Lesley: It's an alkaline detox, so you basically omit anything that is acid-forming from your diet, or anything that is a common allergen. So that means no sugar (except honey), no caffeine (which I replaced with hot water, fresh lemon and honey.... apprently okay, according to Joshi), no fruit (only to get all sugars out of your system), no wheat or yeast (and nothing too gluteny), no nightshades (eggplant, peppers etc), no dairy (goat is okay), no meat except fish...

That was long. I will lend you the book.

Anonymous said...

For some reason the cravings got worse as the days progressed. I am finding the third week so much more difficult than the last two! Maybe it's cause I wound up with a nasty cold and am tired and miserable. But there's definitely some key benefits to letting go of the sugar, wheat, pasta, caffeine fried crap, fake foods and bad fats. I'd like to stick with some of these practices even after the three weeks are up.

Oh, and I would like to partake in cake! (I guess I'm not as devoted as I sound - but as the saying goes, everything in moderation)